Driving traffic to your Amazon listing among a sea of competitors can be possible through SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
Although this achievement is influenced by a number of factors, it’s no secret that it also requires some keyword optimization so that Amazon’s algorithm, known as A9, regards your items as the most relevant matches to specific searches.
Product listings that rank will receive more visitors and therefore more opportunities for conversion, sales, and revenue.
Want to learn how?
Here are top 5 Amazon SEO tips that will help you boost your ranking and increase sales.
Amazon SEO Tips
1. Conduct Preliminary Keyword Research
When a customer is looking for a specific product, they will enter keywords into the Amazon search bar that are then matched against the search terms including by sellers in their product listings.
A professional SEO company can help you conduct in depth research. And by using the right keywords, you will enhance your product’s visibility and sales.
For any seller, keyword research is fundamental to successfully selling on Amazon. The better A9 thinks your product matches to a search term, the higher up you will rank in the search results.
Your keyword relevancy will depend on the title, bullet points, and description of your product, so finding the right keywords to include in these sections is vital.
- One way to research keywords is by performing competition analysis. See what terms your competitors are using in their product listings by looking through products on Amazon that are similar to the one you will be selling.
- Consider who your target audience is and develop a customer persona to better understand the search terms and language that will be used when searching for your product and incorporate these into the product title, description, and bullets.
- There are a number of online keyword generators that you can use, however for more advanced analysis and results, professional search engine optimization service providers will perform in-depth research to improve your ranking and conversion.
2. Structure Your Product Title
Amazon customers generally type what they are looking for into the search bar rather than find in through product categories menus.
This makes optimizing your product title critical to ranking.
Using the right combination of keywords to improve the relevance of your listing will improve your discoverability, conversion, and sales.
Amazon’s algorithm prefers longtail, commercial-intent keywords containing three or more words. Seller Central offers guidelines for structuring product listings, including for product titles:
Long-tail keywords help potential customers find your product listings, so try to incorporate all relevant keywords. Here is an example of a product listing title using long-tail keywords:
3. Optimize Product Descriptions and Details
Product descriptions and bulleted details are another opportunity to compose copy utilizing high-relevance keywords to boost your ranking.
Optimize according to what the customer is searching for while keeping the algorithm in mind, keeping your copy concise, readable, and not overly stuffed with keywords.
Use this section to preempt any questions or concerns that could drive customers to look for other products.
Use bullet points for more palatable copy and better conversion.
Don’t rely on default manufacturer description because this can lead to duplicate content that can negatively impact your ranking.
Articulate your product’s benefits and relevant features clearly.
4. Include Images and Videos
Images and videos can dramatically improve your product listing ranking and boost conversion, but it is important to take note of Amazon’s requirements and policies for including media. For images, stick to the following:
- Include five clear images per listing
- Amazon accepts JPEG, PNG, GIF, or TIFF formats
- Include the product identifier in the image file name
- Optimize images for mobile
- Include alt text with keywords to product images
Including short videos of under a minute in your product listing will improve your ranking while also communicating important product information to your customers. Image and video optimization contribute to higher conversions on Amazon but have also been shown to improve sell-through in general.
One study found that 72% of customers would rather learn about a product or service via video. Videos can include product demonstrations, customer reviews, or stories about the product or company.
Amazon sellers can upload video content through:
- A+ Detail pages
- Enhanced Brand Content
- Customer reviews
5. Customer Engagement
You can interact with your customers on a product losing page via the Q&A section and in response to written reviews.
Responsiveness and customer engagement offer a number of ways to positively impact ranking and conversion, so don’t forget to check in regularly even after you have launched your listing.
Here are some ways that customer engagement can boost your ranking on Amazon:
- Q&A and reviews offer the opportunity to add more keywords thereby increasing your page’s relevancy and ranking.
- Reviewers often post product images and videos that can boost ranking and also generate more content for other prospective buyers to look at, keeping them on your page for longer.
- Good reviews are consumer-generated content that has been shown to increase conversion significantly. People want to read what other buyers’ experience has been with the product before purchasing and are more likely to trust a brand with a high number of positive reviews. More conversion means more sales, more sales means better ranking.
- Responsiveness demonstrates that you care about your customers, and this will build brand trust. One study found that 82% of online consumers rely on reviews, and among these 97% look at the business’s response.
Amazon is a monolith in the marketplace environment, accounting for almost 50% of the US eCommerce market.
Sellers who want to succeed need to develop a strategy for boosting their product listing ranking so that they can stand out among a sea of competition.
Understanding how to build relevancy using keywords, product titles, descriptions, and details, images and videos, and customer engagement will but you on the path to Amazon marketplace success.
Looking to expand your Amazon business?
With Payoneer’s cross-border payments platform, online sellers can get paid quickly and easily from top eCommerce marketplaces like Amazon, Wish and more to one consolidated account and expand their global reach.
Reach more customers in the US, EU, UK, Japan, Canada, Australia and Mexico and receive international payments immediately.
Click here and get a $50 reward for signing up.
Kareen Friedman is a content writer at Payoneer, specifically focusing on the freelance and service providers industry. Kareen enjoys baking pastries, traveling to new countries, and hiking.